Microsoft Live Events
MS Teams Live Events is the webinar software of Office365, which support up to 10,000 simultaneous passive attendees. Its primary purpose is as a broadcasting platform large-scale conference and broadcasting events, and it is designed to allow audio and video codentsfor broadcasting production inputs. Before planning for Teams Live Events, consider if your program's goals can be reached and how the passive nature of the tool will impact your education.
Characteristics of Microsoft Teams Live Events
- Interaction, discussion, and user visibility is very limited in Live Events.
- As a broadcasting/streaming platform, there is a broadcast delay of roughly 30 seconds. The presenter is about 30 seconds ahead of the attendees, meaning Q&A, polling, etc. will be out of sync with the live presentation.
- Unlike regular MS Teams calls (and unlike Kaltura Live Rooms), Live Events require a moderator & producer, along with a presenter, to be beneficial. Attendees in Live Events cannot be seen by webcam, but can ask questions in the Q&A chat panel.
- Live Events do not have breakout rooms. A workaround can be achieved by scheduling multiple Teams calls outside the Live Event, but this needs to be manually set up and your participants will need to be guided in how to join/rejoin rooms.
- To increase interactivity, presenters can use 3rd party tools (polling, etc.) but these are used outside the Live Event and can then displayed by the presenter.
Due to capacity, limited concurrent sessions of Live Events are possible. Live Events can be requested through the ISSC Helpdesk, and need to be scheduled in advance. Scheduling of more than 1 week is advisable, and must be no later than 48hrs in advance. Due to limited capacity, requests cannot be guaranteed on short notice. ISSC will give your account access to Live Events for the hours you require, and you as a user will need to set up the Event. More information about setting up and organising a Live Event can be found on this help desk portal page. Or you can view this video on scheduling a live event or this video on how to run a Live Event from start to finish.
Who can use MS Teams Live Events
- All staff of Leiden University and student associations can request a Live Event
- Due to capacity only a few concurrent sessions of MS Live Events are available and so must be requested through the helpdesk of ISSC. You cannot create them on your own. In the application please indicate:
- Who is the producer (support staff)
- Who are the presenters (speakers)
- Date and time of the event
- The help desk of the ISSC can assist with the further design of the Live Event, but the user has to do the actual further creation of the setting.