Students make a test before or during class to assess how much they have learned so far. This is a type of formative assessment.
- Small groups (3-10)
- 5-10 minutes
- 10-30 minutes
- 30-60 minutes
- Activating prior knowledge
When to use it?
- When you want to receive insight into how to adjust your course to the needs of your students.
- When you want to encourage students to engage with the learning material.
- When you want to promote student performance.
- Make groups
Divide the students into pairs or small groups (or let them work individually).
Explain to the students the goal of the intermediate test and how much time they have.
Let the students make the test.
Discuss the questions that the students had difficulty with.
Tips for implementation & variation
- Online teaching: The test can be created with an online assessment tool.
- If you choose to let the students make the intermediate test before class, you can discuss the most difficult and important questions during class.
- You can do this activity once, but you can also repeat it every week.