Pro and con grid
Students make a list of advantages and disadvantages of a certain issue.
- Small groups (3-10)
- 5-10 minutes
- 10-30 minutes
- Creative Thinking
When to use it?
- When you want to encourage students to look beyond their own point of view.
- When you want to promote the critical thinking skills of students.
- Formulate a statement on a topic for which students can list advantages and disadvantages (or pros/cons).
- Make groupsDivide the students into pairs or small groups (or let them work individually).
- Pros and cons
Give the students 5-10 minutes to make a list with at least three advantages and three disadvantages (or pros/cons).
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages (or pros/cons) during a plenary session.
Tips for implementation & variation
- Online teaching: The subgroups can work in breakout rooms.
- During the plenary session, you can write down the advantages and disadvantages (or pros/cons) in a grid on the (online) whiteboard to create a clear overview.
- This teaching format can also be used as a pre-session activity, to let students prepare for a class debate.