Students are challenged to sketch 8 ideas in 8 minutes.
- Small groups (3-10)
- 5-10 minutes
- 10-30 minutes
- Activating prior knowledge
- Creative Thinking
When to use it?
- When you are at the beginning stages of ideation.
- When you want to encourage divergent thinking.
- When you want students to generate a lot of ideas.
- When you have a limited amount of time.
- Choose a topic or problem that the students need to generate ideas for.
- Collect A4 paper to give to your students.
- Hand out the A4 paper
Give each student an A4 paper and let them fold the paper into eight different sections.
- It's not about perfection
Remind the students that the sketches don't need to be perfect. The purpose is to generate a lot of ideas.
- Set a timer
Set a timer for eight minutes. Every minute, you need to remind them to start working on a new sketch.
Each student presents their top three ideas to the rest of the group.
Let everyone vote on the winning idea(s).
Tips for implementation & variation
- Online teaching: Students can take a picture of their A4 paper and put in in the chat or you can let them use the built-in whiteboard of the video lecture tool.
- This teaching activity can be combined with the teaching activity Voting.